All of Maxihost's servers on the Bare Metal Cloud platform feature Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) so your server can be managed remotely from anywhere. You can access your server's IPMI through the browser or CLI. This is an important feature because it allows you to manage your server even when it's off or unresponsive.
IPMI is known to have security vulnerabilities, so we worked on a solution that completely isolates access through several security mechanisms, making sure only legitimate users can gain access to your server's IPMI console, we call that Remote Access. Remote Access is included at no additional charge.
The first step is to connect to our internal network by connecting to a VPN. This is needed because our IPMI runs on private IPs for security purposes.
- On the Servers page, select the server you'd like to access and click on Remote access
- Click on Create VPN session to get credentials for the VPN.
The password is only shown once. Every time you create a new VPN session the password will change.
- You'll need a VPN client. We recommend FortiClient VPN, which you can download from here. After installing it, make sure you fill out the fields correctly.
- Save the connection, insert the username and password provided and click on Connect.
Now that you have established a VPN tunnel between your computer and Maxihost's internal network, you're ready to connect to the IPMI.
- On Step 2 in the Remote Access page, click on Retrieve IPMI credentials. This will give you the private IP, username, and password for your server's IPMI.
- Copy the username and password and paste the IP Address on your browser window.
- On the IPMI login screen, insert the username and password provided.
The IPMI password is only shown once, so you'll have to get the credentials again if you decide to access your server in the future.
Updated 2 months ago